Destiny Awaits- Leene's Story Chapter 1

By Jupiterstar

A young girl stood among a bright ecosystem. Butterflies beat their wings to travel for nectar, crickets chirped cheerfully, grasshoppers leaped from blades of grass to fresh leaves and birds sang out their welcome songs with joy.

The girl stood with a butterfly net concealed safely behind her back, a rogue grin on her lips. Her blond hair was pulled back in a ponytail which bumped against her tunic as she rocked back and forth on her heels.

"Yyyaaaaahhhhh!!!" she cried as she pulled forth the net and charged at her unsuspecting targets. She batted and swooshed with the mesh prison until she caught a terrified victim underneath is.

She got down on her knees and leaned closer to examine it. It had orange wings with yellow circles, almost like eyes, on them. The girl pinched the net to keep her prize from escaping and ran towards her home.

"Ginny! Ginny! Ginny, I got one!" she shouted. Racing in the front door to where her big sister was, she clutched her precious find. Ginny looked up excitedly.

"Wow, already? What kind is it?" the older girl asked. The younger one couldn't answer for she was panting to hard to talk. Giving the net and the insect to her sibling she found her voice.

"It's a pretty orange one," she explained. Ginny inspected it carefully.

"Hey! Leene, this is a good one!" Leene smiled with five-year-old pride. Ginny carried the butterfly up to their private butterfly collection. Ginny and Leene had set up a smaller replica of the winged creature's habitat to harbor their finds. They kept the butterflies until they laid eggs and then they let all the insects go, ultimately creating more to catch. There were currently no specimens in the cage.

Ginny gently pushed the tiny creature into it's new home. Leene watched with fascination, wiggling her front tooth, which was loose, with her tongue. The butterfly settled on a small bush leaf.

Leene loved her ten-year-old sister. Ginny and Leene shared a common interest in nature, both loving and respecting all living things. Also, being the girls out of three children helped strengthen the bond.

"C'mon Leene," Ginny grabbed her little sister's hand. Leene followed obediently, and then she heard the familiar sound of a deep male voice.

"Daddy's home!" she cried, racing down the stairs and almost falling. She rushed to her father who scooped her up in his arms.

"How's my princess?" he asked. Leene giggled.

"Good!" she answered. " I caught a butterfly!" Her father laughed and sat her down on a chair at the table. Cyrus, Leene's older brother, followed suit, as did Leene's mother. Leene's high mood disappeared instantly. She could tell something was wrong.

"Leene, Ginalyn, Cyrus, your mother and I have something to tell you," Leene's father began. Leene's mother picked up.

"We're moving to Truce," she said calmly. Ginny's mouth flew open.

"No! We love it here!" she protested. Leene, not really understanding what was going on, took her big sister's hand assuringly. Ginny began to cry.

"It's okay," Leene said. "We'll find another butterfly field." This made Ginny cry harder.

.

Go To Chapter 2

Return To CT Fanfic