Chrono Trigger: Dare Chapter 22

The Scream

By Crono_12

"Unh!" Marle cried out and fell to her knees. The others helped her up.

"Marle, are you all right?" Cid asked.

"Yeah…I think so. Did any of you hear that? That scream…."

"No…what’d you hear?" Ecin asked.

"A scream…Lav-I mean Mostern’s scream. It…it…sounded as if the Fortress itself screamed."

"What’s the Mostern scream?" Kain asked in turn.

"Well, when we were fighting Lavos, or Mostern as you call him, he would let out a scream ever once in a while. This scream…." Marle stopped as if she were hearing it. "…This scream is the ultimate terror. A thousand nightmares bundled in one. A thousands worst fears with a single name. The Scream. It strips you of all your resolve. It feasts on will power. And it shreds inner strength and determination. That scream…that scream is how it takes control of peoples minds."

"Um…can we go home? That doesn’t sound like something I want to mess with." Ecin’s voice broke and quivered.

"Whatsamatter? Chicken? I for one don’t believe a scream can hurt me, no matter how scary," Kain taunted.

"I’m not a chicken! I’m only saying…" Ecin had not time to finish. The Scream sounded again, and this time, everyone heard it.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!" Kain shrieked. He fell to his knees and clutched his ears in pain. No one heard him though; they were all writhing on the ground.

"Make it stop. No! No! Nooooooooooo!" Ecin shouted. A second later, he started crying into his bloody hands, not noticing he had made a fist so tight that he cut himself on his own nails.

"Uuuuuuaaaaaaahhhhh!" Cid yelled and smashed his hands into the corridor wall. Once, twice, three times he brought his fists down on the wall. He then spun around quickly, his face contorted in pain. But slowly, he brought himself under control.

"Kain! Ecin! Get up! Marle!" He shouted. Kain and Ecin remained on the ground, but Marle got up.

"phew…it’s over." Marle opened her eyes and looked at Kain and Ecin. She shook her head, then knelt beside Kain.

"It’s ok Kain. I’m here. It’s ok. It’s over," she whispered in his ear. He shivered slightly in response, but his screaming stopped. Marle then put her right forefinger on Kain’s cheek and cast cure. Kain immediately woke up.

"Unhh… my head. What happened? Was that…?" Kain didn’t finish. He knew what it was. Marle nodded softly, then went to take care of Ecin. After both of them were on their feet, Marle spoke softly.

"Now you know what I was talking about."

"How come you and Cid weren’t affected as much?" Ecin asked.

"The Scream’s effects are stronger on people with weak magic ability. The first time Crono and Lucca and I heard it, we couldn’t do anything except writhe in agony for a good fifteen minutes. But now that I’m stronger, it doesn’t affect me as much. Plus, the more you hear it, the more you get used to it. Sort of." She looked around the dark corridor nervously. "We’d better get going," she added.

The group walked down the corridor, each of their weapons drawn. After a hundred meters, the corridor split into two more.

"I think one of these leads to the laser, and the other leads to the engine rooms and the Mammon Machines. Ok guys, are you ready? There’s always time to change the plan. We could have Klab do both the engine and the lasers, but we can’t be sure of success. Once we start, there’s no going back." Cid stopped in front of the fork and turned to face the rest of the group. They all exchanged glances, then looked at Cid.

"I’m with this plan to the end. You and Crono saved my life, and if this is the way to repay you, then I’m there," Ecin said. Kain smirked, and then spoke.

"Me too. I know I haven’t been the best person to have around, but ever since you guys gave me a second chance, I’ve felt a need to repay you. And this looks like the best way to do it. So lets just do it and get it over with."

"Well Cid, do you have your answer?" Marle asked. He grinned then turned to the division.

"Now to find out which one is which," Cid wondered out loud.

"Leave that to me." Ecin said with a grin. He closed his eyes and mouthed a spell. Instantly, he split into three identical images. The two on either side of the original waved hello and each walked down a corridor.

"Talk about split personality…" Kain muttered. No one paid any attention to him.

"What do you see Ecin?" Marle asked.

"Well, the one on the right corridor is now in a large room. There are people walking around, minding their own business. Then there are the guards. They’re looking at me as if I might try something. I’m looking around" Ecin turned his head one way. "Aha! There it is. I see a sign that says Mammon Machine’s room. I’m heading towards it. Wait a second…there’s some kind of…Ahh!" Ecin screamed as he spun around as if trying to shoo a bee that had landed on his back and was not leaving.

"Ecin? Are you ok?" Marle asked, concerned. Ecin looked at her blankly then collapsed like a sack of potatoes.

"Ecin!" Marle kneeled down to take his pulse. "He’s fine. I wonder what happened though?" She said as she looked up at Kain and Cid.

"I’ll tell you what happened, don’t worry. Just help me up," Ecin breathed as he opened his eyes and extended his arm out to Kain. Kain grabbed it and pulled him up roughly.

"One of my clones died, the one that was talking about. A guard hit him with a dagger in the back. I should have told you this before, but anytime something happens to my clones, I feel it."

"Jeez Ecin, don’t do that again. You scared the daylights out of me," Kain told him.

"You? Afraid that I might hurt myself? How sweet," Ecin stated mockingly.

"Shut up. Shut. Up. This is what I get for feeling for other people. It’s what always happens," Kain said.

"Aw…poor baby. Do you want a pacifier?" Ecin retorted.

"All right! That is IT! One more word out of you and I’ll…"

"Kain…one more word out of YOU and I’ll make sure that you won’t be able to sit down for a long time," Cid interrupted. He then took a deep breath, leaving the stunned Kain’s jaw touching the floor.

Ecin stepped closer to Kain and whispered, "Better close your mouth before you swallow your entire leg."

Kain pursed his lips and shook his head angrily.

"There. Now, let’s go. And guys?" Everyone looked at Cid as he spoke. "Good luck. We’re gonna need it."

Marle smiled.

"Just like Crono," she thought. "Just like Crono…"

.

Chapter 23

Chrono Trigger Fanfic